2015 Wisconsin Act 55 requires identification of the academic standards adopted that will be in effect for the 2015-2016 school year by the Manitowoc Public School District, Wis. Stat. 120.12 (13) (a) and 120.12 (13) (b). Our mission statement states:
The Manitowoc Public School District will provide rigorous learning for all students within a safe and orderly environment. We will educate students in the basics and help them develop as self-reliant students.
We work to develop quality curriculum and implement effective instructional practices through continuous improvement processes.
Academic Standards in the Manitowoc Public School District:
- K-12 English Language Arts (reading, writing, speaking, and language) and Mathematics have adopted the Common Core State Standards http://dpi.wi.gov/common-core
- Grades 6-12 have aligned the curriculum to the Next Generation Science Standards http://www.nextgenscience.org/
- Grades K-5 are aligned with Science Wisconsin Academic Standards (http://dpi.wi.gov/standards)
- 4 year old kindergarten is aligned to the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards http://ec.dpi.wi.gov/
- Social Studies is following the Wisconsin Academic Standards (http://dpi.wi.gov/standards)
- For all other subject areas, the MPSD is following the Wisconsin Academic Standards.
In the Manitowoc Public School District, we believe that learning should give students the tools to make their dreams come true. Our focus on high quality instruction starts with the basics but is far more than a checklist of skills. We want students to develop a depth of understanding that will serve them now and equip them for a future that will surely amaze and challenge them. All students should be college and career ready based on these academic standards.